Consumer Class Action Litigation
T (800) 460-2756
O (254) 761-3300
F (254) 761-3301
Zona Jones practices in the areas of personal injury, commercial and consumer class action litigation at Harrison Davis Steakley Morrison Jones in Beaumont, Texas. He is board certified in personal injury trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Over the course of his 30 year legal career, Zona has been involved in a number of significant, high profile product liability cases. He represented multiple victims in the explosion of the BP refinery in Texas City, Texas, over 300 injured/killed by defective/contaminated sutures, over 500 injured by defective hip implants, the families of 10 people in Croatia killed by defective dialysis filters just to name a few.
Other professional highlights included his appointment as National Co-Class Counsel in the consumer class action lawsuit arising out of the Firestone Tire Tread delamination litigation in Terri Shields, et al vs Bridgestone/Firestone Inc., et al: in the 172nd District Court of Jefferson County, Texas.
Jones was also co-lead counsel in JJJJ Walker, et al vs. First National Bank of Edinburg, et al in which the investor plaintiffs claimed that the defendants defrauded them of their ownership interest in Louisiana-Tex Healthcare Management (“LTHM”) and the three hospitals LTHM owned and operated. A 12-person Harris County jury returned the verdict in the amount of $118,121,454.00 in actual and punitive damages. This verdict was #24 in the Top 100 Verdicts of 2012 in the United States and the #2 largest verdict in Texas in a breach of contract case in 2012. The verdict also made the Texas Lawyer’s Verdicts Hall of Fame in 2013.
Currently, Zona is representing multiple victims in the West Fertilizer Plant Explosion litigation. He was appointed by the Court and serves on the Plaintiffs’ Executive Steering Committee Cause No: WEST EXPLOSION CASES (Relating to All Cases); In Re: West Explosion Cases; In the District Court of McLennan County, Texas.
Bilingual in Spanish, Zona is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the District of Columbia Bar Association, Texas Trial Lawyers Association (where he has served as a director), and the Jefferson County Bar Association. He served on the District 3 Grievance Committee of the State Bar of Texas from 2004-2010 (where he also served as Chair of the panel) and remains a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates.
Zona is admitted to practice in Texas, the District of Columbia, the U.S. District Courts, Eastern, Northern, Western and Southern Districts of Texas, the U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
A graduate of St. Mary’s University School of Law in San Antonio, Texas, Zona was a member of Phi Alpha Delta. He completed his bachelor of business administration degree at Baylor University in Waco, Texas where he played football for Grant Teaff’s Baylor Bears. Also a member of the Country Music Association (CMA), Jones has had success as a touring musician and recording artist earning 3 top 5 singles on the Texas Music Chart and 2 Top 40 singles on the national music charts.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Fifth Circuit
CERTIFIED LEGAL SPECIALTIES
- Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Baylor University – Waco, Texas
– B.B.A. 1985
St. Mary’s University School of Law – San Antonio, Texas
– J.D. 1989
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, President (2012), Member of Board of Directors, Executive Committees (2003, 2004, 2005), Legislative Chairman (2004)
- State Bar of Texas, Committee on Administrative of Rules of Evidence, District 8-B Grievance Committee, 1986-1993; Chairman, 1990-1992 American Association for Justice
- Waco-McLennan County Young Lawyers Association, Former President,
- Recipient Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, 1984
- Waco-McLennan County Bar Association, Former President
- Abner V. McCall American Inn of Court, Master of the Bench and Former President
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Former Member of National Board of Directors
- Christian Trial Lawyers Association
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow